NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- After years of success in giving stuff away while building the most cost-effective Internet infrastructure the world has ever seen, Google (GOOG) has decided its future lies in getting people to pay for stuff.
What could possibly go wrong?
Google I/O, which started out as a developers' conference, turned into a sales meeting this week as the company introduced more ways for people to part with their money:
- YouTube now has channels you can pay for.
- Google Wallet has been integrated with Gmail and has turned into something like Western Union (WU), with money sent as email attachments.
- Google Plus is going after Facebook (FB), complete with an app similar to Facebook Home , now available on iTunes.
- Google Play Music is now a $10/month streaming service competing with Spotify, and daring Apple (AAPL) to respond.
- Google Play Games is now aiming to become a full gaming platform like Valve's Steam.
- Google Apps is now going directly at Microsoft (MSFT) Office in the office applications race, with the City of Boston and Canada's CBC Broadcasting as early wins.
- Google Compute Engine is going after Amazon.com (AMZN) in the public cloud space.
Rather than just be all things to all people, Google will compete with all things against all people.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV