While the BRICs have languished, smaller Southeast Asian countries have remained on rapid growth trajectories.
In 2012, the Philippines GDP grew 6.6%, up from 3.9% the year before. The country has benefited from a reform-minded president who has brought new transparency to government. The improving political climate has encouraged expatriates to return home for jobs in expanding factories and call centers.
In Thailand, floods shut down factories in 2011 and caused GDP growth to slip to 0.1%. But last year, the figure surged to 6.4% as auto manufacturers expanded and domestic demand increased. Helped by the improving outlook,
iShares MSCI Thailand
(THD) gained 14.5% this year. "Thailand has repaired the damage, and now the economy is in sound shape," says Morningstar analyst Patricia Oey.
Oey says that Thailand and the Philippines should continue growing smartly because of increasing consumer sales and investments in infrastructure. The IMF estimates that both countries should grow around 6% this year. For the short term, the growth should continue drawing investors to stocks in Thailand and the Philippines, says Oey.That should boost the country ETFs. But she cautions that investors should prepare for a bumpy ride because valuations are no longer cheap. The MSCI Thailand index now has a price-to-earnings ratio of 14.8. Since 2007, the index has posted an average figure of 12.5. The Philippines benchmark has a P/E of 26.1, up from an average figure of 17.3. At the time of publication, Luxenberg had no positions in securities mentioned.. Follow @StanLuxenberg This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV