OSLO, Norway, May 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- AWILHELMSEN AS ("AWIL") Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.'s (NYSE: RCL) largest shareholder announced today that it would vote its shares in favor of a shareholder proposal to eliminate classification of the Royal Caribbean Board of Directors and in accordance with a recommendation of Institutional Shareholder Services ("ISS"). AWIL said it would cast its votes at the May 22, 2013 RCL annual meeting.
AWIL is a founding shareholder of Royal Caribbean and owns approximately 19.1% of the company's shares. The proposal reflects a growing corporate-governance trend away from classification of Boards of Directors. AWIL believes that Royal Caribbean shareholders would be better served by a board whose members are elected annually.
To quote the supporting statement in the Proxy Statement: "Having directors stand for elections annually makes directors more accountable to shareholders, and could thereby contribute to improving performance and increasing firm value."
SOURCE AWILHELMSEN AS ("AWIL")
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV