FRISCO, Texas, May 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Frisco, Texas is being recognized as one of 14 Allstate Safe and Secure Communities across the country. Allstate has recognized Frisco because it has been identified as one of the fastest growing communities in the country and is navigating the corresponding traffic planning issues that come with rapid growth. Frisco ISD has also been identified as one of the country's fastest growing school districts.
"We are excited to be named an Allstate Safe and Secure Community. We look forward to partnering with Allstate on safe driving events and teen driving education that will create awareness for Frisco residents," said Sgt. Brad Merritt, Frisco Police Public Information Officer.
Allstate says it will partner with Frisco community leaders over the next year to help facilitate programs promoting safe and secure behaviors amongst members of the community and surrounding area. In addition, the Frisco Police Department is receiving a $50,000 grant from The Allstate Foundation to help fund teen driving education and community focused programming.
"Allstate has a long-standing commitment to Texas teens," said Frisco Allstate Exclusive Agent Jeff Baird. "As Frisco grows, so does the school district. There are few better places in the country where Allstate can make such a powerful investment in the safety of teen drivers."The partnership kicked off Thursday, May 16 at Stonebriar Mall in Frisco, with a program featuring Allstate's Reality Rides SM. Reality Rides is a simulator that demonstrates the dangers of distracted driving – putting participants behind the wheel of a real car virtually simulating the dangers of distracted driving. Reality Rides Reality Rides consists of a driving simulator that utilizes a real - but stationary - vehicle equipped with virtual reality technology, including a headset that displays an animated environment and reacts to the driver's motions. Using the vehicle's steering wheel, gas and brake pedals, the driver is tasked with driving while also attempting to text and talk on the phone. These simulations demonstrate the potential consequences distracted drivers could face while on the road. To add impact to the simulations, Frisco participants are given traffic "tickets" that reveal potential infractions a driver could receive if the experience happened in real life. Participants will also have the opportunity to take the Allstate X the TXT™ pledge that promises to not text and drive. Allstate is reaching out to families in Frisco because more than 3,000 deaths from crashes with a distracted driver occur each year:
- Studies have shown drivers who text are 23 times more likely to crash, and texting while driving is the equivalent to driving impaired after drinking four beers.
- Car crashes are the number one cause of death for everyone in the U.S. ages 1-34, with teens crashing four times more often than any other age group.
- In Texas, Allstate is advocating for stronger teen driving laws, referred to as Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL). To reach the provisions that would bring Texas' up to recommended standards, Allstate proposes
- Require age 16 for entry into the learner's permit stage
- Extend all restrictions on teen drivers through age 17
- Cell phone restrictions.
- Recent research from The Allstate Foundation's License to Save report found that comprehensive GDL laws in Texas could save an estimated 211 lives and $1.44 billion annually.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV