(In Apple's defense, most of this cash is held outside of the U.S., requiring them to pay billions in repatriation taxes).
Cook already put a floor in the stock by initiating an additional $50 billion stock buyback program (on top of the $10 billion plan in place), to be completed by December 2015. Meaning that this $425 billion market cap company is going to get a huge injection of cash in the open market over the next 32 months.
But is it really time to start the "off with his Cook's head" chant? No. I don't think so. Not yet. On the second quarter conference call, Cook hinted towards future product launches in the second half of 2013.
Specifically, he had this to say on the matter, "Our teams are hard at work on some amazing new hardware, software, and services that we can't wait to introduce this fall and throughout 2014. We continue to be very confident in our future product plans."When later probed in the Q&A session about a more specific launch schedule, Cook deflected, "I don't want to be more specific, but I'm just saying we've got some really great stuff coming in the fall and across all of 2014." To me, this is Cook's way of saying that patient, long-term oriented shareholders will be rewarded. I also think he kind of perversely liked the stock falling so much. Watching short-term traders and non-committal bandwagoners getting squashed like bugs.
I think his plan all along has been to ultimately reward those who weather the storm, those who stick it out. With a juicy dividend yield (now near 3%) and a $60 billion buyback program in place -- which is the highest buyback program from a company, ever -- I think we owe it to Cook and to Apple to see what they've got planned for fall.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV