NEW YORK, May 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Mortgage rates moved higher for a second consecutive week, with the benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage rate climbing to 3.71 percent, according to Bankrate.com's weekly national survey. The average 30-year fixed mortgage has an average of 0.34 discount and origination points.
To see mortgage rates in your area, go to http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/mortgages/.
The average 15-year fixed mortgage increased to 2.92 percent, while the larger jumbo 30-year fixed mortgage rate inched lower to 3.99 percent. Adjustable rate mortgages were also higher, with the popular 5-year ARM rising to 2.68 percent and the 10-year adjustable now at 3.22 percent.The suddenly glass-half-full economic sentiment continues to push bond yields and mortgage rates higher. Mortgage rates are closely related to yields on long-term government bonds. The benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage rate is now the highest since early April. Despite the increase, however, mortgage rates have been in a narrow one-third of a percentage point range since December. That is in tune with the not-too-hot, not-too-cold economic performance. The last time mortgage rates were above 5 percent was Apr. 2011. At the time, the average 30-year fixed rate was 5.07 percent, meaning a $200,000 loan would have carried a monthly payment of $1,082.22. With the average rate currently at 3.71 percent, the monthly payment for the same size loan would be $921.70, a difference of $160 per month for anyone refinancing now. SURVEY RESULTS 30-year fixed: 3.71% -- up from 3.60% last week (avg. points: 0.34) 15-year fixed: 2.92% -- up from 2.82% last week (avg. points: 0.32) 5/1 ARM: 2.68% -- up from 2.64% last week (avg. points: 0.24)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV