NEW YORK, May 16, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- NeoStem, Inc. (NYSE MKT:NBS) ("NeoStem" or the "Company"), a leader in the emerging cellular therapy market, today announced the geographic expansion of intellectual property protection around its lead product candidate, AMR-001, with the notice of patent grant in Malaysia (MY-147516-A) and notice of recommendation for patent allowance in the Philippines (1-2008-501074). These patents are in the family of U.S. patent number 7,794,705 titled "Compositions and Methods of Vascular Injury Repair" and protect a chemotactic stem cell product enriched for CD34+ cells that treats injury from acute myocardial infarction ("AMI").
Additionally, NeoStem has been granted a second South African patent (ZA 2011/04059) titled "Infarct Area Perfusion-Improving Compositions and Methods of Vascular Injury Repair."
"These incremental patents will bring AMR-001's total worldwide patent coverage to nine patents," said Dr. Andrew L. Pecora, Chief Medical Officer of NeoStem. "The Asian and African geographic expansion of Amorcyte's patent protection, which also includes Japan as previously announced, creates the potential to access markets where heart attack and cardiovascular disease are significant threats to public health."According to reports, cardiovascular disease is a significant problem in the Philippines, South Africa and Malaysia. The populations in each of these countries are 95 million, 51 million, and 29 million respectively.
- Heart disease is the number one killer in both Malaysia and the Philippines, accounting for 1 out of every 5 deaths in the Philippines.
- The prevalence of risk factors for heart disease is significant in Malaysia, with physical inactivity at 60.1%, smoking at 25.5%, and hypertension at 25.7%.
- In South Africa, approximately 130 heart attacks occur every day, or almost 50,000 per year.
- Premature deaths from cardiovascular disease in South Africa are projected to increase by 41% by 2030 in people from 35-64 years old.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts