CHICAGO, May 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Seasonal hiring expectations this summer mark a continued improvement over the years immediately following the recession, according to CareerBuilder's annual Summer Jobs Forecast. Nearly three in ten employers (29 percent) report they plan to hire seasonal workers this summer. While unchanged from 2012, the number is significantly up from an average of 21 percent from 2008 to 2011.
The nationwide survey—conducted online by Harris Interactive© from February 11 to March 6, 2013— included more than 2,000 hiring managers and human resource professionals across industries and company sizes.
Employers in leisure and hospitality (47 percent), manufacturing (34 percent), information technology (34 percent) and retail (33 percent) are the most likely to hire seasonal help this summer. More than half of all employers (53 percent) will complete their seasonal hiring in May or June.
"The summer forecast shows yet again that although the jobs recovery has been slow, employers are more confident today than they were three or four years ago," said Brent Rasmussen, president of CareerBuilder North America. "Seasonal work –whether in retail or engineering – is also a good entry point into the labor force for job seekers, as a vast majority of employers – 67 percent – will consider summer hires for permanent positions."Wages for summer hires and/or internsTwo-thirds (66 percent) of employers will pay their summer hires $10 or more per hour—up from 64 percent in 2012 and 58 percent in 2011:
- $7.25-$9.99 – 34 percent
- $10.00-$15.99 – 46 percent
- $16.00-$19.99 – 11 percent
- $20.00 or more – 9 percent
- Office support: 27 percent
- Customer service: 22 percent
- Information technology: 20 percent
- Engineering: 18 percent
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV