BRENTWOOD, Tenn., May 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Skilled nursing centers at 14 Brookdale (NYSE: BKD) communities were ranked among U.S. News' Best Nursing Homes. All received five stars – the highest overall rating – from Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which sets and enforces federal requirements and standards for nursing homes certified to receive Medicare and Medicaid payments. A facility's overall rating is based on its performance in health inspections, nurse staffing, medical care and quality.
Brookdale communities included in this year's ranking are:
- Arizona – Park Regency in Chandler
- Illinois – Westbury Care Center in Lisle
- Kansas – Sweet Life at Brookdale Place Overland Park
- North Carolina – Carriage Club of Charlotte
- Pennsylvania – Freedom Village at Brandywine
- Texas – Broadway Plaza in Ft. Worth
" Brookdale is committed to high quality and person-centered health care for our residents. This commitment is reflected in the excellent ratings of these 14 Brookdale nursing communities," said Kevin W. O'Neil, MD, FACP, CMD, Brookdale's chief medical officer. "However, we will never be complacent. We will always strive for excellence and improvement in the quality of care we provide in all our care settings."
The U.S. News rankings use data available on CMS's Nursing Home Compare consumer website. Nursing Home Compare assigns an overall rating from one to five stars, based upon data from regular health inspections carried out by state inspection and licensing agencies, as well as the communities themselves. Communities are also scored on how well they do in health inspections, nurse staffing and providing a high level of quality care.As defined by the federal government, a nursing home is a Medicare or Medicaid facility that provides 24-hour nursing care and other medical services. Health inspections are conducted about every 12-15 months and investigate health-related complaints from residents, their families and other members of the public. Findings from these inspections are used for ratings based on the any issues identified and their scope, meaning the relative number of residents who were or could have been affected. Retirement and assisted living communities are not ranked since they are not covered by Medicare or Medicaid.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV