ADVISORY, May 15, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- U.S. stocks have continued to move higher, with all-time closing highs in the Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P 500 indices yesterday. Biotechnology stocks have been particularly strong, as have homebuilders and healthcare stocks. The NASDAQ BIOTECHNOLOGY INDEX (NBI) was up 6.6% over the past 5 days and is up over 35% year-to-date.
"Biotech stocks have been helped by signs of a more accommodating US approvals process and several companies reporting positive news. The tailwinds from the recent market rally are helping the sector as investors look to allocate funds to non-defensive sectors," said Dave Gedeon, Managing Director, NASDAQ OMX Global Indexes. "The housing sector stocks were strong again this week, with a gain of almost 3% after a 4.4% rise last week."
|TOP WEEKLY INDEX MOVERS (+ / -)|
|TOP 5 EQUITY INDEXES:||5/14/13|
|NASDAQ BIOTECHNOLOGY INDEX (NBI)||+6.6%|
|NASDAQ INTERNET INDEX (QNET)||+3.6%|
|PHLX HOUSING SECTOR INDEX (HGX)||+2.9%|
|PHLX UTILITY SECTOR INDEX (UTY)||-2.4%|
|PHLX SEMICONDUCTOR INDEX (SOX)||+2.1%|
|TOP 5 COMMODITY INDEXES:||5/14/13|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY CORN INDEX ER (NQCICER)||+2.4%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY NATURAL GAS INDEX ER (NQCINGER)||+2.4%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY SILVER INDEX ER (NQCISIER)||-1.8%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY GOLD INDEX ER (NQCIGCER)||-1.7%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY AGRICULTURAL INDEX ER (NQCIACER)||+1.5%|
OTHER NOTABLE INDEX MOVES
- Consumer Price Index (CPI) data will be released for April on Thursday. Inflation has been tame and has allowed for the Fed easing that has helped the market. Producer Price Index (PPI) data showed the largest drop in wholesale prices in three years so investors will be following the CPI release with interest. Watch the NASDAQ COMMODITY GOLD INDEX ER (NQCIGER) if there is an upside surprise.
- Initial Jobless Claims and Continuing Claims data will also be released Thursday for a confirmation of the optimism generated by the Payrolls data. Consumer spending has been surprisingly strong with Consumer Discretionary stocks outperforming the market with a 20.8% return year-to-date. The NASDAQ US 300 Index (NQUSL300) might move if the unemployment rate continues to tick lower.
- The University of Michigan Confidence Sentiment Index will be out on Friday with an expected reading of 78. A rally in The NASDAQ US Benchmark Index (NQUSB) would be an indicator of a broad market move and the NASDAQ US 1500 Index (NQUSS1500) will track the smaller stocks that might benefit from a positive reading.
CONTACT: MEDIA CONTACTS: Nick Lawler Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5613 email@example.com Chauntez Wilson Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5415 firstname.lastname@example.org Wayne Lee NASDAQ OMX (301) 978-4875 Wayne.email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV