ROTTERDAM, Netherlands, May 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) today announced that it will shut down a high density polyethylene (HDPE) unit in Wesseling, Germany in the third quarter of 2013. The 100 KT per year unit is among the smallest and least efficient of the LyondellBasell HDPE units in Europe. The company has sufficient HDPE capacity to meet customer needs from its larger scale facilities.
"LyondellBasell continues to take definitive steps to reorganize our operations in Europe to increase efficiency, reduce costs and improve the competitiveness of our businesses," said Bob Patel, Senior Vice President, Olefins & Polyolefins, Europe, Asia and International. "The closure of under-competitive assets, along with the restructuring and efficiency-improvement initiatives in our business areas, manufacturing and R&D, will better position LyondellBasell to compete in today's economic environment."
LyondellBasell is the largest producer of both polyethylene and polypropylene in Europe. The company has shuttered about 2.5 billion pounds of capacity in Europe in recent years and reduced headcount in business areas by 30 percent.
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the world's largest plastics, chemical and refining companies and a member of the S&P 500. LyondellBasell (
www.lyondellbasell.com) manufactures products at 58 sites in 18 countries. LyondellBasell products and technologies are used to make items that improve the quality of life for people around the world including packaging, electronics, automotive parts, home furnishings, construction materials and biofuels.
Media Contact: David A. Harpole +1 713-309-4125Investor Contact: Douglas J. Pike +1 713-309-7141
SOURCE LyondellBasell Industries
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV