Highest-Paid Public Employee in Your State Is Probably a Coach
And these coaches aren't alone in the $5 million club. Also joining them is coach Mack Brown at the University of Texas, Austin, who brought home $5.3 million last year. His Longhorns finished with a 9-4 win-loss record, leaving them tied for third place in the Big 12 athletic conference.
Penn State's football coach gets a big payday. Despite the Jerry Sandusky child-rape scandal that engulfed the football program at Penn State University, its football coach remains a top earner. According to Pennsylvania news website PennLive.com, current Penn State head coach Bill O'Brien made $3.6 million last year.
That was even higher than the salary of the late Joe Paterno, his famed predecessor. In his last year as head coach -- during which he was fired over the Sandusky scandal -- Paterno earned $1.1 million, according to The Associated Press. Paterno also walked away with a $13.4 million pension, reported The Huffington Post.
The highest-paid coach: Private universities are not required to disclose salary information for their coaches. But USA Today has reported that legendary basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski made $7.2 million back in 2010. Since he began coaching the Blue Devils back in 1980, Coach "K" has led the team to four national championships.
More From AOL Jobs
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV