ISI Group Analyst Brian Marshall will also be paying close attention to Cisco's margins. "While CSCO's execution has improved over a prolonged industry downturn (e.g., streamlining costs, divestitures, product refreshes, etc.), the sustainability of gross margins in the low-60% range (e.g., within 61-62% target range) remains uncertain," he wrote, in a note released earlier this week.
Software-Defined Networking (SDN) also poses a threat to Cisco's margin model, according to Marshall, although he feels that the company's efforts in the space will reap dividends.
SDN refers to a set of techniques for managing network traffic flows through software. Cisco is one of a number of companies, including rival HP (HPQ), who are touting SDN technologies.
Cisco's guidance will also prove critical. "We expect roughly in-line results for Apr-13, but wouldn't be surprised to see a more cautious outlook for Jul-13," wrote Marshall, who has a 'cautious' rating on the stock. "While CSCO is trying to create a more stable, software/service-oriented business model, we believe gross margins in its core routing/switching businesses (~50% of revenue) remain under pressure."Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters are looking for fourth-quarter revenue of $12.48 billion and earnings of 51 cents a share. Cisco shares, which have crept up 1.24% during the last 3 months, dipped 0.09% to $21.25 during Wednesday's trading. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV