MCLEAN, Va., May 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- USA TODAY Charitable Foundation and ConAgra Foods (NYSE: CAG) are proud to announce the winners of the Child Hunger Ends Here national competition for students in grades 7-12. The competition and related classroom learning activities were part of a larger campaign focused on ending child hunger in the U.S.
The winning classroom is from Lumpkin County High School in Dahlonega, Ga. Amber Gilleland, a health science teacher, led her class in successfully collecting an average of 708 meals per person. The winning classroom will receive a congratulatory luncheon, hosted by ConAgra Foods' marketing executives, today.
The winning student team, "Hunger Proof," is from Brawley Union High School in Brawley, Calif. The team's teacher, Ines Estrada, led the group consisting of five 12th grade students. Each member of the winning team will receive an iPad.
The competition was designed to make kids more aware of the nearly 17 million children facing food needs in communities nationwide. The activities helped to prompt action and advocacy on a local level by asking youths to create a cause marketing plan to activate their communities to collect non-perishable food products and donations and submit the results of their plans in a national competition. For more details, visit usatodayeducation.com/childhungerends.Entries were judged on three criteria: a reflective essay, the average number of meals collected per student in each class or group and the average number of meals contributed per person by the community organizations targeted by the teams' marketing plan. Classrooms and youth groups were judged based on the highest average number of meals collected. The student team with the highest cumulative score based on each of the above components was named the winner.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV