Digital Realty Trust
Last up is real estate investment trust Digital Realty Trust (DLR). With a short interest ratio of 15.7, it would take more than three weeks of buying pressure for short sellers to cover their bets against the firm. That makes DLR the most heavily-shorted name on our list today.
Digital Realty Trust is a REIT with a technology niche. It owns datacenters, Internet gateways and manufacturing facilities, nearly 100 properties comprising 16.8 square feet of leasable space in all. Because demand for datacenter capacity continues to grow (as technology like cloud computing becomes more and more popular), DLR has an added demand factor that most other landlord REITs simply don't. But don't think of this stock like a play on real estate. At its core, it's an income-generation tool.DLR enters into long-term triple-net leases with tenants, an arrangement that takes most of the risks off of DLR's balance sheet and puts the onus on tenants instead. The result is a predictable income stream and a hefty 4.78% dividend yield right now. And because dividends are like kryptonite for short sellers, shorts need a higher level of conviction to hang onto a name that's paying out gobs of cash. That gives DLR significant squeeze potential this quarter. To see these short squeezes in action, check out this week's Short Squeezes portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV