Anytime we sell an option we know that the time erosion is working for us. The opposite is true if we buy, we will be paying the time erosion every day we are in the trade.
Another thing that happens when you have time value working for you is the probability of success goes up. If a stock is a 50-50 bet an out of the money option sale usually will be a higher probability bet. That is why I prefer to sell option premium. I want the time erosion working for me.
Margins are generally fixed by the strike price relative to the stock price. However time erosion is partly a function of how much time is left in the option. If we go too short in the maturity of the option we do not get enough premium to generate a lot of time erosion. If we go too long then the time erodes too slowly. Generally somewhere in the 1 month to 3 month is the best.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV