WORCESTER, Mass., May 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- This spring, as many homeowners are cleaning, there is no better time to take stock of your belongings. Putting together a home inventory can help individuals and families track important items in the event of a future loss. To help homeowners get started, The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc. (NYSE: THG) is offering its best practices for creating a household inventory.
"Unfortunately, you never know when a disaster may strike and you might suffer the loss of a home," said Mitchell H. Jawitz, vice president, personal lines marketing at The Hanover. "In that time of need, it's difficult to recall all of the personal items one may have lost. Having a home inventory can help you to replace everything in your home in a fast and efficient way if you have a covered loss."
Tips for creating a home inventory:
- List Everything: First, go through each room, listing major items. Include purchase date and price, if known. Save, store and make copies of receipts –keeping them outside of your home. Include serial numbers for appliances, electronics, and cameras.
- Take Photos or Videos: Open all closet and cabinet doors. Stand in the center of each room and take one picture of each wall or scan the room with a video camera.
- Let Technology Help You: Visit Hanover.com to find a link to the Insurance Information Institute (III)'s program, Know Your Stuff, which allows you to use your computer or smartphone to inventory your possessions and store it in a safe online account.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV