WASHINGTON, May 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Diageo, as part of its Diageo Salutes the Troops initiative, today announced that it has contributed $200,000 to three organizations dedicated to supporting our military troops both at home and abroad: iPads for Soldiers, Packages From Home and the independent research organization NORC at the University of Chicago. This marks the latest effort in the company's ongoing commitment to support veterans and active duty military through brand promotions for military families, employee volunteerism and financial contributions to military nonprofits.
Over the past year, Diageo has provided iPads for Soldiers, NORC at the University of Chicago and Packages From Home with grants that were used to equip soldiers and veterans with much-needed resources, including iPads so soldiers can talk face-to-face with their children and spouses while in the field, and home comforts like beef jerky, extra toilet paper, and playing cards. Diageo has also funded NORC's development of a program to train military health personnel to conduct alcohol screenings and brief interventions for soldiers and veterans as needed.
Moving forward, Diageo will expand its Diageo Salutes the Troops program to include additional military-connected initiatives that will provide backing to the brave men and women who serve the United States. These programs will vary from driving more volunteer efforts to offering additional grants to worthy charities to funding research that will support veterans. Programs that will reward and pamper military spouses and families will become expanded while there will be a renewed focus on seeking out new nonprofits that will benefit military personnel.
"The Diageo Salutes the Troops initiative is an extension of the work we do to provide humanitarian relief across the country and around the world," said Marc Strachan, vice president, multicultural marketing, Diageo North America. "At Diageo, we believe in giving back to the communities where we do business – and the U.S. Military is a very important community for us and for all Americans. Our aim is to support our veterans and active duty military in ways that make a direct and meaningful impact on their own and their family's lives. Working with these three admirable organizations has been a strong start. In the coming months, we pledge to continue supporting these programs while developing additional initiatives that will benefit the military channel."Following is some more information on the three organizations partnering with Diageo to make a difference in the lives of veterans and active duty personnel:
- iPads for Soldiers – donates thousands of iPads each year to soldiers in battle and wounded warriors.
- Packages from Home – creates care packages including food, personal care and recreational items that are sent to American troops.
- NORC at the University of Chicago - an independent research organization based at the University of Chicago that is developing a Department of Defense alcohol screening and brief intervention system that will be implemented in all military health clinics worldwide by the end of 2014.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV