SEATTLE ( TheStreet) -- New details about failed lung cancer immunotherapy from Oncothyreon (ONTY) were revealed for the first time Wednesday night in a research abstract for the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) annual meeting.
Stimuvax reduced the risk of death by 12 percent compared to a placebo -- a difference that failed to reach statistical significance by a wide margin, according to detailed results from the phase III study contained in the ASCO abstract.
Oncothyreon and partner Merck KGaA announced last December that the Stimuvax lung cancer study failed to meet its overall survival primary endpoint, but specific data were not disclosed at that time.
The study enrolled 1,513 patients with Stage III non-small cell lung cancer who did not progress after initial treatment with chemotherapy and radiation. The patients were randomized to receive injections of Stimuvax or a placebo.Oncothyreon and Merck designed the study with the assumption that placebo-treated patients would live approximately 20 months and that Stimuvax would prolong survival by approximately 6 months, or a 33% relative reduction in the risk of death. In reality, the median overall survival for the placebo-treated patients was 22.3 months compared to 25.6 months for Stimuvax patients. A three-plus month difference in median overall survival favoring Stimuvax seems like a long time but the cancer vaccine's effect on overall survival was far smaller, which is why the study failed. And then there was this statement made by Oncothyreon and Merck last December: "Despite not meeting the primary endpoint, notable treatment effects were seen for
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV