NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Here we sit in the year 2013 and guess what? A railroad stock is one of the leading stocks in the entire market!
Data from Best Stocks Now App
Union Pacific (UNP) is a $71.7 billion large-cap stock, whose company is headquartered in Omaha, Neb. It's also a stock I own in my conservative growth accounts.Now you may be asking: Isn't this a stock of yesteryear, a stodgy old one? Yes, but it doesn't have the performance of the majority of stocks of yesteryear. It continues to retain its Best Stocks Now-like performance! Data from Best Stocks Now App During the past 10 years, UNP has delivered a 19.8% return each year to investors. The great Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B), by contrast, has delivered 8.6% per year, during the same time! Over the past five years, UNP has delivered an average of 17.9% per year, while the BRKB has dealt investors a 6.3% return. Over the past three years, it's delivered almost 32% each year to shareholders as compared to BRKB's 13.5%. Boring old UNP continues to chug along, delivering 20% to 30% per year. And in the last 12 months, UNP is up another 40.1%, earning it a momentum grade of "A-". Data from Best Stocks Now App Many people say that investing is all about the future. So let's take a look at UNP's valuation. While there are no guarantees that it will continue to perform well, whatsoever, UNP clearly has a proven track record (pardon the pun). And looking to the future, we see that UNP is trading at just 14.1 times forward earnings. It is trading at a discount to the market, probably because it's not a very glamorous, "cool" stock. UNP is expected to grow by 14.2% per year over the next five years. It is trading at right around its growth rate, so it's not expensive, with a PEG ratio of 0.99. The final piece in analyzing UNP is to take a look at its stock chart, and here I see a stock that continues to hit new highs!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV