MONTREAL, May 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ - Resolute Forest Products Inc. (NYSE: RFP) (TSX: RFP) today officially inaugurated a major power island producing green energy at its pulp and paper operation located in Thunder Bay, Ontario. The power island includes a refurbished and upgraded woodwaste boiler and a new 65-megawatt condensing turbine. Approved by Resolute in early 2011, the C$65 million project took just over 21 months to complete.
"The power island is a strategic addition to Resolute's Thunder Bay facility," stated Richard Garneau, President and Chief Executive Officer. "It will reduce the mill's energy costs as well as maximize our local woodlands, sawmill, pulp and paper, and energy operations by fully utilizing forest-based biomass to produce green electricity."
The green power produced will be sold to the Ontario grid under a power purchase agreement between Resolute and the Ontario Power Authority.
To mark the inauguration, a ceremonial "throwing of the switch" was held earlier today involving key Company and government representatives. Richard Garneau and Resolute Chairman of the Board Richard B. Evans were joined by a number of government dignitaries, including: Ontario Minister of Northern Development and Mines and MPP, Thunder Bay-Superior North, the Honourable Michael Gravelle; Member of Provincial Parliament for Thunder-Bay-Atikokan Bill Mauro; and Mayor of Thunder Bay Keith Hobbs. Resolute employees and local community leaders also attended the event. The project received support from the Ontario Government's Forest Sector Prosperity Fund, as well as from the Federal Government's Pulp and Paper Green Transformation Program."This project is consistent with Resolute's focus on optimizing our network to reduce costs as well as investing in projects that improve our competitive position and are aligned with a sustainable future," added Garneau.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV