As I wrote last month, the whole computing industry is entering a new phase, with the gadget wars of last year becoming an interface war and companies of all sizes trying to define, then dominate, new ways of connecting with data.
As this market competition develops, companies risk forgetting what brought them to the party and may waste billions of dollars trying to dominate consumers they merely need to seduce.
Amazon is a retailer, Google sells services, Facebook sells connections to the people you know. Trying to be all things to even some people may be the surest route to a corporate supernova.
The point of a company's greatest success is often its most dangerous time. The 1994 publication of the book Game Over represented Nintendo's (NTDOY) height of power. Now, its Wii U is taking the company down to losses, as NintendoLife reports. Microsoft (MSFT) CEO Bill Gates wrote a grand book called The Road Ahead in 1995 that failed to predict the growth of the Internet, as The Atlantic noted recently.Facebook, Google and Amazon are all playing a dangerous game. At the time of publication, the author was long GOOG and AAPL. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV