Kevin Plank of Under Armour has worked with SAP for more than a decade to research, develop, manufacture and distribute Under Armour products: "As a company that is built on speed and innovation, we are constantly working to improve the consumer experience and the platform that SAP delivers throughout our business helps to refine our process, allowing us to innovate with products such as the new Armour 39. That ability to help brands capture a multitude of real-time data and expedite communication is exactly how SAP can elevate the sports and entertainment industries and enable all of us to best utilize the most advanced technologies. We believe this is the true 'game changer.'"
"The sports world mirrors the very dynamic shift in today's global business environment," said York, of the
San Francisco 49ers. "As managers of teams and clubs, we need to make significant brand and strategy changes quickly while simultaneously minimizing risk. The use of analytics, combined with the ability to reach and hear from fans on their mobile devices in real time, can offer enormous benefits for everyone."
"NBA fans' passion for our game is amplified by deep game data and player statistics," said Silver. "SAP has created the definitive tool on NBA.com for accessing our rich history and up-to-the-minute game results."
Market estimates for the sports and entertainment industries are, to say the least, enormous. According to data from the U.S. Commerce Department, spending on these — including facilities management, agents for artists, athletes and entertainers, and professional sports teams and clubs — topped
$68 billion annually in
the United States for the last five years.
In addition to sports, SAP counts numerous entertainment organizations as customers, including Cirque du Soleil, Lionsgate (NYSE: LGF) and Silicon Valley Sports & Entertainment LLC This year, SAP
acquired Ticket-Web GMBH & Co. KG
, a provider of ticketing solutions and niche CRM tools for concerts and sports events.
Transforming the Sports and Entertainment Industry
SAP already boasts several sporting solutions and partnerships, including:
- SAP partnered with the NBA in July 2012 on a multiyear technology and marketing venture. Fans and the media were able to get interactive access to virtually unlimited amounts of official NBA statistics and analysis, including every official box score in NBA history. (Insert Link)
- In October 2012, the NFL and SAP announced a multiyear technology and marketing partnership, where the NFL will adopt on-demand technology from SAP for its proprietary NFL.com Fantasy Football offering. SAP also deployed custom analytics to develop an interactive dashboard for fans to participate in the NFL.com 2012 Fantasy Player of the Year Award.
- SAP joined EMC in October 2012 in signing on as Cornerstone Partners at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. The N.Y. Jets and N.Y. Giants said they will use SAP and EMC technology to introduce a new level of fan interaction and activation throughout the entire building.
- SAP is a Founding Partner of the San Francisco 49ers' new Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California. The team will use SAP's expertise in big data analytics, mobile and real-time systems in all digital touch points, including 49ers.com, Twitter and Facebook to help create enhanced relationships with its loyal fan base.
- In March 2013, SAP announced the launch of the SAP® Scouting solution, an enterprise offering that helps enable sports franchises to improve their ability to identify, assess and recruit the talent that can fuel their teams' on-field success.
Leading the sports and entertainment industry globally is
, senior vice president of Global Strategic Industries at SAP.
For announcements, blog posts, videos and other coverage during SAPPHIRE NOW, visit the
About the San Francisco 49ers
49ers, owned by
Denise and John York
, currently play in the NFC West division and have won five Super Bowl trophies including Super Bowl XVI, XIX, XXIII, XXIV and XXIX. The franchise also has six conference championships and 19 divisional championships and was the first major league professional sports team to be based in
over 60 years ago. Please visit
and follow the 49ers on Facebook and Twitter @49ers.
About the NBA.com
NBA.com, launched in 1995, is the official destination for the National Basketball Association and averages more than 42 million page views per day, more than half of which originate from outside of
. Consistently ranked among the top sports Internet sites, NBA.com is a part of NBA Digital, the NBA's extensive cross-platform of digital assets jointly managed by the NBA and
. Along with NBA.com, the robust offering includes NBA TV, NBA.com, NBA LEAGUE PASS, NBA LEAGUE PASS Broadband, NBA Mobile, NBADLEAGUE.com and WNBA.com.
About Under Armour, Inc.
Under Armour® (NYSE: UA) is a leading developer, marketer, and distributor of branded performance apparel, footwear, and accessories. The Company's products are sold worldwide and worn by athletes at all levels, from youth to professional, on playing fields around the globe. The Under Armour global headquarters is in
. For further information, please visit the Company's website at
With SAPPHIRE® NOW, SAP offers its customers, partners and prospects even more opportunities to engage in dialogue with peers, participants and thought leaders around the globe. Being held in
May 14-16, 2013
, this enhanced, real-time event connects attendees on site with global participants through state-of-the-art broadcast studios and an online experience that incorporates the latest social media and community functionality. Whether on site or online, participants can gain insight as to how SAP is delivering on its product strategy and helping organizations around the world to run better. For more information, visit
. Follow SAPPHIRE NOW on Twitter at
and visit the SAP Newsroom at
Follow SAP on Twitter at
As market leader in enterprise application software, SAP (NYSE: SAP) helps companies of all sizes and industries run better. From back office to boardroom, warehouse to storefront, desktop to mobile device – SAP empowers people and organizations to work together more efficiently and use business insight more effectively to stay ahead of the competition. SAP applications and services enable more than 238,000 customers to operate profitably, adapt continuously, and grow sustainably. For more information, visit
Any statements contained in this document that are not historical facts are forward-looking statements as defined in the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Words such as "anticipate," "believe," "estimate," "expect," "forecast," "intend," "may," "plan," "project," "predict," "should" and "will" and similar expressions as they relate to SAP are intended to identify such forward-looking statements. SAP undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements. All forward-looking statements are subject to various risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations. The factors that could affect SAP's future financial results are discussed more fully in SAP's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC"), including SAP's most recent Annual Report on Form 20-F filed with the SEC. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of their dates.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts