Operating expenses in the first quarter totaled $4.4 million, compared to $4.1 million in the fourth quarter of 2012. The increase over the prior year period was attributable to increased spending in preparation for the U.S. pivotal trial and EU post-market study, as well as increased non-cash compensation expenses.
Net loss in the first quarter was $4.4 million, or $0.47 per share, compared to a loss of $4.1 million of $0.66 per share in 2012, respectively.
Cash used in operating activities decreased to $4.1 million in the first quarter 2013 from $4.8 million in the comparable period of the prior year, driven primarily by the higher concentration of non-cash expenses in the current year and the reduction of liabilities in the prior year period. The Company ended the first quarter with $11.0 million in cash, compared to $14.2 million at December 31, 2012. The pro-forma cash balance at March 31, 2013, when adjusted to reflect the April 2013 equity financing discussed below, was $25 million.In addition to financial results for the first quarter ended 2013, Sunshine Heart also announced several corporate updates with regard to financing, ongoing clinical trials for C-Pulse, and progress made with regard to internal product development. Additional Corporate Milestones:
- Second site activated in U.S. pivotal trial, COUNTER HF
- Complete Feasibility study data expected to be published in major medical journal
- Two additional patients have been identified as potential candidates to be weaned from the device based on significant symptomatic improvement
- Closed $15.1M public offering on April 16, 2013
- Progress made in development of fully-implantable pump
- Company evaluating additional therapeutic indications for C-Pulse system
- Sunshine Heart officially de-listed from Australian Stock Exchange (ASX)