National Press Club Requests Explanation For Secret Seizure Of Reporters' Records
WASHINGTON, May 13, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In the wake of reports today that the Justice Department secretly obtained phone records of several of AP's reporters and four of its offices, the National Press Club requests that the Obama administration publicly explain the reasons behind the action.
The Justice Department disclosed to AP in a May 10 letter that the government had obtained last year two months of personal and professional phone records for individual AP reporters and from AP offices in the House press gallery and from AP bureaus in DC, New York and Hartford, Conn. The letter did not provide a reason why, AP said, but the targets of the government seizures and the timing suggested that it might be related to a probe of who leaked information to AP for a story the news organization broke last year about a bombing plot that had been organized by an Al Qaeda affiliate in Yemen.
AP President and CEO Gary Pruitt called the incident "a massive and unprecedented intrusion" into newsgathering and said the records could reveal how AP reporters and editors gather news and what they're working on."This appears to be a gross violation of press freedom," said National Press Club President Angela Greiling Keane, a Bloomberg News reporter. "If there's a good explanation for this, the public has a right to hear it promptly." The National Press Club is the world's leading professional organization for journalists and is an ardent advocate of press freedom and open government. Contact: NPC President Angela Greiling Keane ( firstname.lastname@example.org; 202-662-7517) SOURCE National Press Club
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV