Oxtellar XR TM Launch Update
- We continue to execute well on the launch of Oxtellar XR TM. We are starting to see positive trends in the number of target physicians prescribing the product and the conversion market share, or the percent of the addressable immediate release oxcarbazepine prescriptions that have been converted to Oxtellar XR.
- Prescriptions as reported by Symphony/WK for Oxtellar XR in the first two months of its launch totaled 579. We started the second quarter with a healthy momentum, increasing prescriptions to 682 for the four weeks ending April 26, 2013 representing a 58% increase over prescriptions for March 2013.
- Based on Symphony/WK data for the week ending May 3, Oxtellar XR achieved a national conversion market share of the addressable oxcarbazepine prescriptions of 0.58%. For the week ending April 26, among the top group of prescribers where our sales force has been concentrating its efforts, the conversion share is 0.73%. In addition, for the same week, the conversion market share of Oxtellar XR is approximately 2% among the target physicians that have been called on six or more times since launch.
- Comparing the early stage performance of Oxtellar XR to other extended release anti-epileptic products that have been launched, Oxtellar XR seems to be tracking in line with the weekly market share trends of Carbatrol. As a reference, Carbatrol achieved a 1.8% market share of the carbamazepine market in its first 12 months on the market increasing to 4.7% in the second full year after launch. It is premature with few data points to project whether Oxtellar XR will continue to track the share conversion performance of Carbatrol or to use this for revenue guidance.
- To date, Oxtellar XR has achieved strong coverage in managed care with 135 million lives covered, 127 million on the commercial side and 8 million on Medicaid.
- Finally, in March 2013 at the American Academy of Neurology meeting, we released data from 214 patients who stayed on Oxtellar XR for 12 months post completion of the blinded portion of our Phase III study. The data shows increased efficacy with seizure frequency reduction up to 59% and further improvement in the adverse event profile leading to AE- related discontinuations of only 5% of patients.
- In summary, we continue to be encouraged with the early signs of the launch primarily because of the following three metrics. First, we believe that one of the most important metrics for a successful launch is satisfaction with the product. We are seeing high levels of satisfaction that prescribing physicians and patients are reporting with Oxtellar XR, consistent with the experience during the 12 months open label study. Second, we have been able to achieve more than 2% conversion share with physicians who have been called on more than six times since the launch. Finally, our sales force continues to build our call frequency.
Regarding Trokendi XR, we continue to expect final approval and commercial launch of Trokendi XR in the third quarter of 2013. The FDA continues to review our Request for Final Approval that was filed in December 2012.