ETF Basics Part 2: Understanding the Differences Between ETFs and Mutual Funds
This is part 2 of 3. Please click here for part 1 of 3.
NEW YORK (WisdomTree) -- Even though exchange-traded funds (ETFs) have become fairly popular, we're still somewhat surprised by how often people misunderstand the differences between them and mutual funds. It's natural to compare the two, as they are both pooled investments, but we think that understanding the difference in the way the two are structured and traded may help investors choose the investment type best suited to their investment goals.
As the table illustrates, ETFs offer a number of benefits that can make them extremely effective in helping investors reach specific long-term goals. Additionally, as with mutual funds, ETFs come in every style and asset class in the investment rainbow. They can be used to complement mutual funds in an existing asset allocation, to replace mutual funds -- or for an entire portfolio.Learn more about how WisdomTree builds its unique ETFs.
1Investors will be affected by tax consequences triggered by capital gains.
2Holdings are displayed daily on the website.
Neither WisdomTree Investments, Inc., nor its affiliates, nor ALPS Distributors, Inc., and its affiliates, provide tax advice. Information provided herein should not be considered tax advice. Investors seeking tax advice should consult an independent tax advisor.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV