The world's largest airline said it has scheduled 787 flights from Houston to other domestic hubs starting Monday, May 20. International service will restart June 10 with a Denver-Tokyo flight.
Boeing has already converted two of United's six Dreamliners to the new Federal Aviation Administration standards and will soon convert the others, the carrier said. "Our customers responded extremely well when we introduced the 787, and we know they'll welcome it back," said Pete McDonald, United's chief operations officer, in a prepared statement.
The 787 was grounded Jan. 16 due to unexplained fires in the lithium-ion batteries on two of the planes. Three months later, on April 15, the FAA approved Boeing's plan to fix the batteries. More recently, carriers have been announcing dates for resumption of 787 service. On April 27, Ethiopian Airlines became the first of the eight 787 operators to return the aircraft to service, flying from Addis Ababa to Nairobi, Kenya. Launch customer ANA, which has 17 Boeing 787s, will restart on June 1.Meanwhile, Boeing has said it will increase its 787 production rate from seven a month to 10 a month by the end of the year. Follow @tedreednc -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV