"Looking ahead, we're closely monitoring the industry for acquisition candidates that may become available and, as always, we're mindful for price," L-3 chairman and CEO Michael Strianese said during his company's earnings call. Multiple defense sources said they believe that if one company announces a substantial deal, it could prompt others to quickly get serious about M&A.
When the ice does thaw, look for security -- both physical and cyber -- to be an area of particular focus. Analysts expect spending on software that can lock down networks, spy on rivals and assess threats and high-tech sensors that can peer around corners or provide clearer views from the air to grow faster than spending on big-ticket items such as new jets and warships.
"Technology is the new arms race, and some of the best research is being done in small to midsized firms," one defense banker said. "Prime contractors traditionally have been more than willing to invest to bring new intelligence in-house."
Rogers of Harris Williams said he expects to see a lot of portfolio reshaping. He sees a trend toward large contractors, many of whom are under new leadership in the past 12 to 18 months, moving away from previous efforts to be a one-stop shop in favor of more specialization, and he expects to see some large-scale divestitures as a result.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV