Box Ships (NYSE: TEU) shares currently have a dividend yield of 10.70%. Box Ships Inc., a shipping company, engages in the seaborne transportation of containers worldwide. As of December 31, 2012, it had a fleet of 9 containerships with a total capacity of approximately 43,925 twenty-foot equivalent units. The company has a P/E ratio of 6.49. The average volume for Box Ships has been 304,600 shares per day over the past 30 days. Box Ships has a market cap of $93.8 million and is part of the transportation industry. Shares are up 6.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. TheStreet Ratings rates Box Ships as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- BOX SHIPS INC's earnings per share declined by 48.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, BOX SHIPS INC reported lower earnings of $0.67 versus $0.80 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and greatly underperformed compared to the Marine industry average. The net income has decreased by 13.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $4.66 million to $4.02 million.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. When compared to other companies in the Marine industry and the overall market, BOX SHIPS INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 47.97%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 48.27% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The gross profit margin for BOX SHIPS INC is rather high; currently it is at 69.80%. Regardless of TEU's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, TEU's net profit margin of 22.66% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- You can view the full Box Ships Ratings Report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV