Staying with the theme of the Japanese economy, the yen was able to break below the 100 mark versus the U.S. dollar. A catalyst for the broken barrier lies with the increase in foreign investment on the part of Japanese investors. When the Bank of Japan announced its aggressive policy, many people saw this as an opportunity for a flight of money out of Japan, towards foreign markets. As the yen falls, people sell Japanese bonds, and the interest rate increases as the Bank of Japan had hoped.The issue with this is that the Japanese bonds, as low as their rates may be, act as a safe haven buy. When people start dumping Japanese bonds, it is a sign that risk assets are seen in a favorable light. The chart below is of DB Japanese Government Bond Futures ETN (JGBL). The asset's break of its trend line confirms that selling of the yen has picked up steam. As investors sell the yen in order to buy foreign bonds, the yen should continue lower and Nikkei should push higher.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV