- The strategic nature of the transaction, including the fact that the combination of the PXP, FCX and McMoRan Exploration Co. (MMR) businesses is expected to (1) create the largest diversified U.S.-based natural resource company with an enterprise value in the top five among global mining peers, (2) increase geographic diversification of the combined company within the U.S. and (3) increase commodity diversification for the combined company.
- The scale of the combined company, which will enable it to compete more effectively than either PXP, FCX or MMR on a standalone basis, through increased cash flow and lower cost of capital investment in future development projects, exploration and acquisitions.
- The expected lower cost of borrowing, given the investment grade rating currently carried and expected to be maintained by FCX after completion of the merger, which was utilized in funding the cash portion of the merger consideration and will be advantageous in future projects.
- The financial and operational strength of the combined businesses, which will allow for accelerated value creation across the entire asset portfolio. The attractive, top-tier and complementary growth profiles of both the oil and gas and mining operations combined with strong margins and cash flows will drive near- and long-term stock appreciation.
- The analyses provided by Institutional Shareholder Services and Glass Lewis represent superficial views based on hearsay. I urge investors not to rely on such reports, but on the opinion of third-party investment banks resulting from months of analysis by independent financial, engineering and geoscience experts. We continue to believe that the analysis and opinion of Barclays Capital, utilizing its own resources and those of third party professionals and set forth in-depth in the Company's proxy materials dated April 18, 2013 available on the Company's website, continues to be the proper conclusion regarding the transaction. A detailed review of the third party expert opinions and other proxy materials, rather than cursory reports, properly presents the correct professional analysis of the value of the transaction to PXP's shareholders and the conclusion that shareholders should rely on to support this transaction.
PXP Chairman's Letter To Shareholders
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.