By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Frontline (FRO) has been falling for the last three years, but the bulls took the helm on Friday.
OptionMonster's monitoring systems detected heavy call volume in the oil-tanker company, with some 2,700 of the June 2 contracts purchased against previous open interest of just 205. Premiums started at 15 cents and then doubled to 30 cents as the shares advanced.
Calls lock in the price where investors can buy stock, and they can deliver significant leverage because they're so cheap to buy. Traders often uses them to keep a trade from running away from them while reducing the amount of capital at risk.Frontline shares surged 12% to $1.97 on Friday. The stock fetched more than $35 in April 2010 before a slowing global economy took the wind of out its sails. In recent weeks, however, numbers from China and Europe have surprised to the upside and sentiment has warmed toward emerging-market stocks. That could be bullish for a transport such as Frontline. Short interest also stood north of 20% in mid-April, which could also squeeze the shares higher. Total option volume was 16 times greater than average in Friday's session, with calls outnumbering puts by a similar proportion. Russell has no positions in FRO.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV