By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Frontline (FRO) has been falling for the last three years, but the bulls took the helm on Friday.
OptionMonster's monitoring systems detected heavy call volume in the oil-tanker company, with some 2,700 of the June 2 contracts purchased against previous open interest of just 205. Premiums started at 15 cents and then doubled to 30 cents as the shares advanced.
Calls lock in the price where investors can buy stock, and they can deliver significant leverage because they're so cheap to buy. Traders often uses them to keep a trade from running away from them while reducing the amount of capital at risk.Frontline shares surged 12% to $1.97 on Friday. The stock fetched more than $35 in April 2010 before a slowing global economy took the wind of out its sails. In recent weeks, however, numbers from China and Europe have surprised to the upside and sentiment has warmed toward emerging-market stocks. That could be bullish for a transport such as Frontline. Short interest also stood north of 20% in mid-April, which could also squeeze the shares higher. Total option volume was 16 times greater than average in Friday's session, with calls outnumbering puts by a similar proportion. Russell has no positions in FRO.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV