AJC: What's The Newseum Thinking?
NEW YORK, May 12, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- AJC called the Newseum's decision to honor two employees of Hamas a shocking assault on the memory of journalists who have died in conflict situations.
The non-profit museum in Washington, D.C., will commemorate Hussam Salama and Mahmoud al-Kumi, two cameramen who worked for Al-Aqsa TV in Hamas-ruled Gaza, at a Monday ceremony.
They, together with 82 genuine journalists, will be added to the museum's permanent memorial."The Newseum board of directors should be ashamed of themselves for saluting two individuals who were integral to the propaganda machine of the Hamas terrorist organization," said AJC Executive Director David Harris. "We are astonished that the Newseum did not reconsider its stance after initial concerns were raised. What are they thinking, seeking to conflate authentic journalists and operatives for a murderous group banned by the U.S. and European Union?" The U.S. government has designated both Hamas and its Al-Aqsa television station terrorist organizations. Al-Aqsa regularly disseminates vile hatred of Israel and unadulterated anti-Semitism, glorifies terrorism, and promotes "martyrdom." "If Newseum is true to its mission of 'educating the public about the value of a free press in a free society,' then it should acknowledge there is an awful lot of work to be done in Hamas-ruled Gaza before Al-Aqsa can be considered a legitimate media operation," Harris added. "Meanwhile, if Newseum opts to go forward with honoring Salama and al-Kumi, it will bring shame on itself for a shocking inability -- or unwillingness -- to distinguish between heroic journalists and brazen terrorists." SOURCE American Jewish Committee
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV