But in the end, it doesn't matter what the intelligentsia believes, because the public likes the Tesla car,
Consumer Reports just gave it its highest rating in years, and unless the
Securities and Exchange Commission steps in to challenge the numbers, the short-sellers could remain wrong for some time. That is, if they are ever right.
I am bombarded with notes from people urging me to knock Tesla. I have no idea how to value this stock. It is a cult stock involving a cult car, and Elon Musk says that 25% of the people who take a test drive buy it. If that is true, then the company can sell every car it makes from now until kingdom come as long as the quality is high. So the stock can keep percolating higher.
Speaking of percolation, if you look at Green Mountain today, you can see what happens when the intelligentsia gets it right, but it doesn't matter one bit. The rap on Green Mountain was that sales are slowing for the Keurig coffee-making unit, and that, plus the competition from the likes of Nespresso, means that Green Mountain could be a terminal short. Of course, there were also whispers that
(SBUX) was going to take aim at Green Mountain, and nobody can withstand an enemy like Starbucks. Instead, the two companies announced a five-year partnership that put an end to the notion that these two will be warring anytime soon. The deal also includes the possibility that Starbucks will sell Keurig machines, so there goes a principal leg of the negative thesis.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV