It's worth noting here that management has now outlined steps to turn cash-flow positive by the second half of the year. But given AMD's persistent declining revenue and margins, it may require more cost-cutting measures on top of the recent workforce reduction, to increase profitability.
I just don't believe much of this will matter. That sounds overly pessimistic, but AMD doesn't exactly have a strong history of execution. What's more, the fact that management still plans to focus on portions of the business that still have a dependency on PCs is a mistake.
How can investors trust management will in the future? Essentially, the odds are still stacked against AMD. Not only is the company battling a dying PC-business, but AMD is also fighting against itself by wanting to be right. PCs are not coming back. Why invest in it?
I don't see a compelling reason to buy the stock at these levels. What's more, since Nov. 16, when AMD reached a low of $1.81 a share, the stock is now up more than 120%. Again, while there are signs of improvement, these shares might have already reached their expected highs for the year.If management can execute and return the company to profitability, then the stock may have legs. But at this point I think the safer play here is to take your profits and wait and see what the next quarter brings. At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @saintssense This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV