The most recent short interest data has been released by the NASDAQ for the 04/30/2013 settlement date, which shows a 425,581 share decrease in total short interest for Penske Automotive Group Inc (PAG), to 1,886,768, a decrease of 18.40% since 04/15/2013. Total short interest is just one way to look at short data; another metric that we here at Dividend Channel find particularly useful is the "days to cover" metric because it considers both the total shares short and the average daily volume of shares traded. The number of shares short is then compared to the average daily volume, in order to calculate the total number of trading days (at the average volume) it would take to close out all of the open short positions if every share traded represented a short position being closed. Average daily volume for PAG at the 04/30/2013 settlement increased to 483,677, as compared to 296,100 at the 04/15/2013 report. That brought "days to cover" down to 3.90, a 50.05% decrease from the 7.81 days to cover calculated at the previous short interest data release. The below chart shows the historical "days to cover" for PAG at previous short interest release dates:
A decreased "days to cover" value could indicate that short sellers are no longer expecting the same decline in stock price they once were, or it could also indicate a long bet elsewhere was closed where PAG had been shorted as a hedge.
The chart below shows the one year performance of PAG shares, versus its 200 day moving average. Looking at this chart, PAG's low point in its 52 week range is $20.26 per share, with $34.34 as the 52 week high point — that compares with a last trade of $32.37.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV