I'm sure the critics will look at this phone and say, "not enough to get people to switch." I'm also sure the CrackBerry fanboys will look at it blindly as the greatest phone ever that iPhone users covet. I'm long BlackBerry, so I want the phone to sell well. However, I'm somewhere in the middle on this.
The software on the Q10 is surprisingly good and innovative for a company that's never been a software company (just look at the old BB7 phones). However, it has still got a lot of work to do. BlackBerry deserves a lot of credit for buying QNX and TAT. They've really propelled this company forward. Yeah, there are some rough edges, but these can be fixed over time.
Overall, if I had to pick one phone, I would not dump my iPhone. The iPhone does so many things so well. However, I pray that Apple's Jony Ive, the senior VP in charge of design, is looking at the Q10 and realizing that iPhone and iTunes need to be seriously brought up to date and blow past the competition in terms of new innovations.
Once again, the 70 million BlackBerry subscribers will love this phone. It's a huge step forward for BlackBerry.At the time of publication the author was long BBRY, YHOO and AAPL. Follow @ericjackson This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV