- Novavax H7N9 VLP vaccine produced, purified and entered into preclinical immunogenicity and efficacy studies in less than a month
- Production of GMP H7N9 clinical trial materials underway
ROCKVILLE, Md., May 10, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Novavax, Inc. (Nasdaq:NVAX) today announced that it has completed purification of a lot of A/Anhui/1/13 H7N9 virus-like particle (VLP) vaccine and initiated animal immunogenicity and efficacy studies, including studies intended to evaluate protection against wild-type viral challenges. Novavax began work on the strain in early April. Analysis and optimization of the gene sequences for the key viral hemagglutinin (HA) and neuraminidase proteins, synthesis of the genes, construction of a recombinant baculovirus vector, infection of insect cells, purification of the first batches of VLP vaccine, and administration to animals were all completed in 28 days.
In October 2012, the company reported top-line data from its two Phase I clinical trials of A/H5N1 vaccine conducted under the company's $179 million contract with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA). These trials showed that the VLP avian influenza vaccine was immunogenic at conventional doses without adjuvant and induced strong immunogenicity in all its adjuvanted dose groups including the lowest dose of 3.75µg. In addition to vaccine homologous antibody responses, cross clade immunity was also demonstrated. Such immunity could be important if a pandemic virus undergoes antigenic drift during a vaccine campaign.
"The Novavax team has demonstrated that recombinant vaccine technology can be used to rapidly move from identification of a lethal virus, to production of a vaccine," said Dr. Gregory Glenn, Novavax' Chief Medical Officer. "Based on our recent clinical trials with A/H5N1 vaccine that induced 100% seroprotection using low doses of an otherwise poorly immunogenic vaccine, we are optimistic that our A/H7N9 VLP may induce strong immune responses and perform well in animal efficacy testing."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV