HONOLULU, May 10, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Barnwell Industries, Inc. (NYSE MKT:BRN) today reported net losses of $2,944,000 ($0.36 per share) and $5,690,000 ($0.69 per share) for the three and six months ended March 31, 2013, respectively, as compared to net losses of $2,981,000 ($0.36 per share) and $3,263,000 ($0.39 per share) for the three and six months ended March 31, 2012, respectively.
Mr. Morton H. Kinzler, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Barnwell, commented, "The loss for the quarter ended March 31, 2013 included a $2,179,000 reduction of the carrying value of our oil and natural gas properties as compared to a $1,854,000 reduction in the carrying value of our real estate held for sale in the three months ended March 31, 2012. Also impacting the decrease in operating results for the three months ended March 31, 2013 as compared to last year's three months ended March 31, 2012 was decreased production for all petroleum products, lower oil prices and an increase in oil and natural gas operating expenses due to $696,000 in remediation costs at Dunvegan and Wood River in the current period. These declines were partially offset by a 49% increase in natural gas prices and a $260,000 decrease in general and administrative expenses primarily due to decreased stock appreciation rights expense as compared to last year's second quarter.
"Operating results for the six months ended March 31, 2013 decreased as compared to the six months ended March 31, 2012 due to a $4,506,000 reduction of the carrying value of our oil and natural gas properties as compared to the aforementioned $1,854,000 reduction in the carrying value of our real estate held for sale, decreased production for all petroleum products, lower oil prices and the aforementioned increase in oil and natural gas operating expenses in the current period due to remediation costs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV