NEW YORK, May 9, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Synergy Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Nasdaq:SGYP), a developer of new drugs to treat gastrointestinal disorders and diseases, today reported its financial results and business update for the first quarter ended March 31, 2013. Synergy is developing plecanatide for the treatment of chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC) and constipation-predominant irritable bowel syndrome (IBS-C).
- On January 2, 2013, Synergy announced positive results from its large multicenter clinical trial of its lead investigational drug plecanatide in patients with CIC.
- On January 17, 2013, Synergy completed its merger with Callisto Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- On March 15, 2013, Synergy announced that the full study results from its large multicenter CIC clinical trial would be featured in a late-breaking oral presentation session at Digestive Disease Week 2013 in Orlando, Florida on Tuesday, May 21, 2013.
- On April 16, 2013, Synergy closed a public offering of 16,375,000 shares of its common stock at a price of $5.50 per share, less underwriting discounts and commissions. The net proceeds to Synergy from this sale was approximately $84.4 million, after deducting underwriting discounts and commissions and other estimated offering expenses payable by Synergy. (Pro-forma Balance Sheets below)
Financial UpdateSynergy's cash, cash equivalents and short term available for sale securities balance as of March 31, 2013 was $21.1 million, as compared to $32.5 million on December 31, 2012. During the three months ended March 31, 2013 net cash provided by financing activities was $4.6 million from the controlled equity sales of its common stock, whereas there was no such financing activity during the three months ended March 31, 2012. Net cash used in operating activities during the three months ended March 31, 2013 and 2012 was $15.6 million and $6.8 million, respectively. Net loss for the three months ended March 31, 2013 was $18.7 million or $0.26 per share, as compared to a net loss of $7.0 million, or $0.13 per share, for the three months ended March 31, 2012. During the three months ended March 31, 2012 non-cash expense items, principally the change in fair value of derivative instruments and share based compensation expense, totaled $2.4 million, or $0.03 per share, whereas such items in the three months ended March 31, 2012 totaled $.4 million, or $0.01 per share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV