The common saying, "the trend is your friend," still holds true. The market has been all momentum and almost all to the upside. You don't want to fight the Fed or the tape, but with some insurance, you can be sure to stay in the game.
Our $945 hedge represents 1.8% of the portfolio, a rather cheap form of insurance (especially at all-time highs), indeed. Remember, the indices' insurance can be tailored to your portfolio's holdings. For example, the Nasdaq ETF (QQQ) could be used for a more tech-heavy portfolio.
At the time of publication, the Kenwell was long V and long SPY puts, although positions may change at any time.
This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV