First-Time Homebuyers Care More About Work, Not Neighborhood
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- What do people really want in buying a home? First-time buyers differ from "average" homebuyers in establishing those priorities, according to a survey from the Bank of Montreal -- and it underlines to what extent first-timers care about work over home life.
According to the bank, 34% of first-time buyers value a short commute to work, compared with 28% of other homebuyers, while 28% of first-time buyers want to live near public transit, compared with 19% of other so-called average buyers.
But first-time buyers aren't as adamant about living in a quiet neighborhood -- only 30% say that's a big priority, compared with 43% of other homebuyers. Nor are they really interested in having "good neighbors" -- only 21% of first-time buyers say that's a big deal, compared with 30% of other homeowners.
In general Canadians want location, the survey says. But they also want:
- A safe neighborhood -- 63%
- Living on a quiet street -- 43%
- Having "good neighbors" -- 30%
- A short commute to work -- 28%
- Being near family and friends -- 25%
"Getting pre-approved financing, choosing a fixed rate and stress-testing mortgage payments in advance of buying a home can provide peace of mind and help homebuyers become mortgage-free sooner," she adds. If you have your financial ducks in a row and know exactly what you want in a new home, your chances of homeownership are greatly enhanced.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV