The company has struggled amid competition from the likes of Apple (AAPL) and Samsung. Chief Executive Office Stephen Elop attributed plunging sales of mobile phones in the first quarter to competition. He said the company expects Asha devices and competitive pricing will help attract more customers.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR) expanded its partnership with Starbucks (SBUX) for at least the next five years.
Per the agreement, Starbucks will continue making coffee and tea K-cups for use in Keurig single-serve brewing machines, while also adding new brands like Seattle's Best Coffee and Teavana teas. It's been producing Starbucks and Tazo K-cups since the companies' partnership began in 2011. The companies said they plan to expand global marketing of the products as well.
The announcement puts to rest speculation that Starbucks would end the partnership after introducing the Verismo, its own single-serve brewer that competes with Keurig machines.Green Mountain reported stronger-than-expected first-quarter earnings on Wednesday. The company said it earned 93 cents per share for the quarter, beating analysts' estimates of 73 cents. The company said its single-serve business experienced 16% growth in the quarter.
The chatter on Main Street (a.k.a. Google, Yahoo! and other search sites) is always of interest to investors on Wall Street. Thus, each day, TheStreet compiles the stories that are trending on the Web, and highlights the news that could make stocks move. -- Written by Brittany Umar.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV