BETHESDA, Md., May 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- More than 1,000 Washington, D.C., area Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] employees and family members participated Saturday, May 4, in Rockville, Md., in the Corporation's first-ever 5K run/walk to get fit while supporting a great cause, the Wounded Warrior Project.
The Lockheed Martin Centennial Challenge run/walk allowed employees to donate nearly $16,000 to the Wounded Warrior Project to support the needs of injured, ill and wounded veterans and service members.
"Lockheed Martin is committed to helping our employees get healthy and stay healthy," said Chief Executive Officer and President Marillyn A. Hewson. "I was excited to see so many of our employees and their families participate. And what made the event even more meaningful is that all the proceeds benefit such an important cause."
Guest speaker 1 st Lt. Donna Bachler, of the Wounded Warrior Project, inspired participants by sharing her personal story of coping with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Bachler spent more than 12 years in the Army, was deployed to Kuwait as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom, and aided in the recovery effort after 9/11 at Ground Zero. She accepted the donation on behalf of the Wounded Warrior Project.The Centennial Challenge was just one of many ways in which Lockheed Martin is motivating employees to get healthy, support a great cause and have fun. Experts believe that 75 percent of health care costs are lifestyle related and preventable. The run/walk was part of the Accelerating a Better You campaign, which represents a cultural shift in how Lockheed Martin looks at employee health and wellness. The focus is on employees, their overall well-being and helping them achieve a series of lifestyle changes that will help them get healthy and stay healthy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV