ELMIRA, N.Y., May 9, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Hardinge Inc. (Nasdaq:HDNG), a leading international provider of advanced metal-cutting solutions, reported financial results for its first quarter ended March 31, 2013. Hardinge separately announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire the Forkardt Workholding Group from Illinois Tool Works (NYSE:ITW). The Forkardt companies are leading global providers of high-precision, specialty and customized workholding devices for machine tools. The acquisition is expected to be completed today.
Net sales ("sales") were $67.2 million in the first quarter of 2013, down $7.5 million from sales of $74.7 million in the prior-year's first quarter. When compared with the trailing fourth quarter of 2012, first quarter 2013 sales were down $23.3 million, or 26%.
During the first quarter of 2013 the company had breakeven net income compared with net income of $2.4 million, or $0.21 per diluted share, in the prior-year's first quarter.Richard L. Simons, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, commented, "The first quarter of 2013 represented a slow start to the year as we anticipated it would. However, we are encouraged that orders have improved by 15% over the fourth quarter of 2012. Asia appears to be experiencing an improvement in activity and we expect that by the end of the second quarter we will have a good idea of how the year will look for China and the Asia region in general. In North America, the market has been steady. While it was encouraging to see that our order levels out of Europe improved from what we experienced last quarter, we continue to expect weaker organic sales in 2013 as a result of the recession there."
|Sales by Region|
|($ in thousands)|
|March 31, 2013||March 31, 2012||December 31, 2012|
|Sales to Customers in||$||% of Total||$||% Change||$||% Change|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV