NEW YORK, May 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- ANN INC. (NYSE: ANN) today announced that, based on weaker-than-anticipated performance, the Company is updating its outlook for the fiscal first quarter of 2013.
Based on preliminary results, the Company's first quarter outlook, provided on March 8, 2013, is being updated as follows:
- Total Company net sales are now expected to be $575 million.
- Total Company comparable sales decreased 0.5% compared with the first quarter of 2012.
- At Ann Taylor, total brand comparable sales increased 1.9%, reflecting an increase of 6.2% at Ann Taylor, partially offset by a decrease of 5.8% in the Ann Taylor Factory channel.
- At LOFT, total brand comparable sales decreased 1.9%, reflecting decreases of 0.9% at LOFT and 7.9% at LOFT Outlet.
- Gross margin rate for the Company is now expected to be 55.8%, reflecting a higher-than-anticipated promotional cadence, primarily at LOFT.
- Selling, general and administrative expenses are now estimated to be $290 million.
- The effective tax rate for the first quarter is anticipated to be approximately 38%.
Kay Krill, President and Chief Executive Officer, said, "In light of the unseasonably cold weather this Spring, we were more promotional than planned in order to move through warm weather product categories, particularly at LOFT.
"From a comparable sales standpoint, LOFT's softer-than-anticipated performance reflected the breadth and depth of its warm-weather offering, combined with a challenging comparison to its strong performance in the first quarter of 2012. Ann Taylor's performance reflected a more transitional wear-now assortment, which resonated with clients and delivered positive comparable sales growth. In factory outlet centers, soft traffic continued to pressure comps at both Ann Taylor Factory and Loft Outlet stores, although margins remained strong in these channels. Importantly, we entered the second quarter with very clean inventories and are well-positioned with fresh new fashion at both brands.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV