- Abstral ® (fentanyl) Sublingual Tablets are an important new treatment option for inadequately controlled breakthrough cancer pain (BTcP) which impacts the majority of cancer patients at some point in their care.
- Abstral, the first and only sublingual fentanyl tablet for BTcP, TIRF REMS serves as model program.
LAKE OSWEGO, Ore., May 9, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Galena Biopharma, Inc. (Nasdaq:GALE), a biopharmaceutical company developing innovative, targeted oncology treatments that address major unmet medical needs to advance cancer care, presented information on the development of a Transmucosal Immediate Release Fentanyl (TIRF) REMS program at the American Pain Society 32 nd Annual Scientific Meeting. The event is being held May 8-11, 2013 at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans, Louisiana.
The poster presentation entitled: "Development of a Federally Mandated Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy (REMS) for Transmucosal Immediate-Release Fentanyl Products" describes the development and implementation of the now fully implemented TIRF REMS program for this important class of drug. The poster concluded that the TIRF REMS program is an important step toward the Food and Drug Administration Amendments Act (FDAAA) goals to reduce misuse, abuse, addiction, overdose, and medication-related errors. The shared TIRF REMS program streamlines the process to safely provide appropriate patients with various forms of TIRF medications, and points out that the goals of the TIRF REMS program need to be balanced against the potential for untreated or poorly treated pain. The complex nature of these goals requires collaboration amongst prescribers, pharmacies, distributors, and patients to achieve optimal success.
"Abstral is a significant advance for patients with breakthrough cancer pain and the TIRF REMS program is an essential element to prescribing Abstral® to ensure that patients are safely and effectively treated," stated Mark J. Ahn, Ph.D., Galena's President and Chief Executive Officer. "Abstral's sublingual TIRF REMS program served as a model for the current shared TIRF REMS, and we look forward to launching our product in the U.S. this year."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV