CHICAGO, May 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Many working moms are shouldering the full financial burden of their households, closing in on the number of men who carry this responsibility. Thirty-four percent of working moms reported that they are the sole financial provider for their households, not far from the 39 percent of working dads who reported that they serve as the sole breadwinner.
CareerBuilder's annual study also finds that working moms continue to struggle with finding a good balance between the office and home, and often have to compromise quality time with their families. The national survey, which was conducted online by Harris Interactive © between February 11 and March 6, 2013, included 411 working mothers and 420 working fathers with children 18 and under who are living with them.
Shorter Maternity LeaveDemanding work environments have led to some women cutting their maternity leave short. Of women who have had a child in the last three years, 30 percent didn't take the full maternity leave their company allowed. While 45 percent of women who have had a child in the last three years said they took more than eight weeks of maternity leave, 17 percent took four weeks or less and 12 percent took two weeks or less.Work's Impact on Family RelationshipsJuggling professional and personal obligations is an ongoing challenge. More than one in four working moms (28 percent) said their children have asked them to work less. Twenty-four percent reported that they spend two hours or less with their children each day during the workweek.
- 17 percent of working moms said their jobs have negatively impacted their relationship with their children
- 12 percent said their jobs have negatively impacted their relationship with their spouse or significant other
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV