Start Money Talks With Mom, Fidelity Study Says
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Mothers Day is big business for U.S. retailers, whether mom wants you to spend big money on her or not (more on that in a moment.)
On the Friday before Mothers Day alone, MasterCard says, its network of U.S. florists takes in $20 million from consumers buying flowers. That makes mom's big day also a big day for florists -- they do 35% more business that Friday compared with any other day of the year.
Is mom really OK with all that spending?Maybe or maybe not, but one thing's for sure: Mothers are far more likely than fathers to give you an opinion on your spending habits -- on Mothers Day and every other day of the year, apparently. That's a primary conclusion drawn from Fidelity Investment's most recent Intra-Family Generational Finance Study, released Wednesday. The study, the third installment in a series from the Boston mutual fund firm, focuses on the differences and similarities among family members on personal financial matters. Fidelity says mothers are more natural "empathizers" than fathers on money matters, which makes it easier for children to discuss their finances. As a result:
- More mothers than fathers (79% to 69%) have had "comprehensive" dialogue about estate planning and wills with their adult children.
- More mothers than fathers (66% to 56%) discussed elderly care and disability insurance with their adult children.
- More mothers than fathers (70% to 55%) asked their adult offspring about covering living expenses in retirement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV